Thanks to the volume occupied by the gastric balloon in the stomach; It helps to reduce the portion size, need to eat less, feel full for a longer time and with these, weight loss. Nutrition is not the primary goal, especially in the first 3-7 days after the gastric balloon procedure, in this process, the patient is expected to get used to the gastric balloon. Applying a liquid nutrition diet will help to reduce the complaints of pain, cramps, nausea and vomiting you may experience during the post-gastric balloon adaptation process. In order not to strain the stomach, a low-fat liquid nutrition program is applied in the first week.
What is the liquid diet?
You can start feeding slowly 2-3 hours after the gastric balloon procedure. First, you can start drinking water, then you need to follow the liquid diet by taking clear vegetable-fruit juices, clear tea, herbal teas, lactose-free milk, light buttermilk, kefir or yogurt to prevent gas, grainless soups, protein supplements.
Afterwards, a gradual nutrition program is applied in the dietitian follow-up and it is progressed as a transition to purees first and then solid. A personalized nutrition program should be created with a portion and content suitable for the tolerance of the person.
Things to Pay Attention in Nutrition After Gastric Balloon
It is aimed that the patient provides a lifestyle change by adopting the general healthy eating principles before the subject of post-gastric balloon nutrition. The most important goal of the patient, who is under the supervision of a nutritionist, is to lose weight and to maintain the weight he/she has gained, with the nutrition training he/she received thanks to the programs provided.
- At least 3 meals a day should be consumed. The frequency of your snacks should be arranged by your dietician.
- 5-2 liters of water should be consumed a day. Fluid consumption should be increased during the summer period.
- Meals should be consumed slowly and by chewing very well.
- Due to the gas problems that they may experience, patients should not consume dried legumes, especially in the early period, for prevention. (Dry beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc.)
- Fruit juices and acidic carbonated drinks with high sugar content should not be consumed.
- Tea and coffee consumption should be limited, especially if tea and coffee is to be consumed in the early period; Light tea and decaffeinated coffee should be preferred.
- Alcohol should not be consumed.
- Sugar and honey should not be added to drinks. Sweetener can be used to sweeten.
- Since it will cause fullness and bloating in the stomach and disturb, liquid should not be consumed with meals and at least 30 minutes should be spent between solid foods and liquid drinks.
- In order not to touch the stomach, the use of intense and spicy spices should be avoided as much as possible.
- Lying down immediately after eating should be avoided.
Home-prepared meals should be preferred and the amount of fat to be put into meals should be kept to a minimum. Adding 2 tablespoons of oil will be sufficient when preparing an average of 1 kilogram of vegetable food. Instead of frying and roasting, healthy cooking methods such as grill, oven, steamed or boiled should be preferred. At least one meal a day should consist of foods rich in protein. Your dietitian will make arrangements in your nutrition program according to your special needs.
Fruits and vegetables must be included in the diet. While fresh fruits will provide your vitamin, mineral and fiber needs, dried fruits will help suppress sweet cravings. Every day, 1 portion of vegetable meal should be included in the diet, while salads increase the feeling of satiety thanks to their high fiber content and support intestinal health. Lemon and vinegar can be added to salads, but portion control in the amount of oil should be ensured, and high-calorie sauces such as pomegranate sauce should not be used.
Physical activity should become a part of life, activities such as gym sports, swimming and dancing can be done. Walking for about 30-45 minutes every day supports both the body’s shaping and the continuity of weight loss.
How Many Weight Will I Lose After Gastric Balloon?
Regardless of the preferred method for slimming, the rate of weight loss and the amount of weight to be lost varies individually. The aim is to reduce the fat ratio and reach the ideal weight while providing weight loss. After the gastric balloon procedure, which has a duration of 6-12 months in the stomach, rapid weight loss is encountered, especially in the first 1-3 months. An average of 8-10% weight loss is expected in the first month. In the following process, a total of 15-25 weight loss is aimed, although it varies according to the starting weight and ideal weight.